THE BLAZER PARTY
Each year in September at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, WA.
This year is September 6th, 2019.
It’s a reunion, awards ceremony, and a kickoff beer bash all wrapped into one! And everyone is invited to join in.
In as much formality as we can muster, we’ve spent a year buying up the best/worst thrift store blazers that will be issued to any racer that attends. Non-racers, spectators, hangers-on, and general no-goodniks in attendance are encouraged to wear any awesome that is not a blazer. We leave that honor to the racers. (Racers who completed the full race get to keep both sleeves of their blazers—volunteers with scissors are standing by for racers whose race ended south of Ketchikan.)
The Blazer Party is like Monte Carlo, except less gambling and yachts and more dogs and peanut shells. It’s a James Bond retirement party after he already blew his 401-K. This is an event no R2AK fan wants to miss!
It’s the Race to Alaska Blazer Party.
An annual event to bring lovers of the race and racers together to share stories of this year’s race and be the first to hear changes to the race for the next year.
That’s right, information before the internet gets it. Also:
- A presentation by R2AK High Command (Jake Beattie and Daniel Evans)
- Small Craft Advisor Magazine to award $1,000 for the fastest finish for a boat under 20 feet.
- Ortlieb is giving a drybag duffle to the team most in need of keeping their crap dry. And there is always a large pool of teams to draw from.
- Admiralty Distillers is handing out the annual award for team most in need of a stiff drink!
- R2AK will hand out the prestigious Dirt Bag Award, and more.
- A celebration of new World Records.
Buy a ticket for admission and get a free drink and fistfuls of finger food.
At the Northwest Maritime Center during the Wooden Boat Festival. Tickets cost money, unless you’re a racer and qualify for a discount, then they are a little less.
It’s not a magical room of unlimited size, so book your ticket now. Click here to purchase tickets.