R2AK EMBEDDED FILMMAKER ARTIST RESIDENCY 2017
The Race to Alaska is opening a call to entries for film and video makers to be embedded with one of the race teams racing in the 2017 R2AK! You will be the ONLY filmmaker to have a front-row seat for the entire 750-mile race. Getting the most amazing shots can often be a function of simply being in the right place at the right time. In this case, we think that place is on the deck of a trimaran racing full tilt to Alaska through some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet.
This is the first year of this very unique talent development program aimed at adventure and outdoor filmmakers and storytellers. R2AK is the only race of its kind, and we seek an unparalleled mind for a creative adventure like no other.
R2AK is based on the hardest kind of simplicity
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Adventurous and creative individuals who want to develop their careers as chroniclers of the outdoors and exploration. Applicants may be emerging filmmakers, producer/shooters, cinematographers with a knack for story, students or working professionals. While your portfolio will hopefully show some aptitude/interest in outdoor storytelling, people from documentary, narrative, and experimental backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Have a good eye and an inimitable outlook on the world. This is an incredibly unique race that tests skill, knowledge, endurance, and fortitude. Be someone who wants to explore this thing from the inside out, someone who notices things that nobody else does, who sees connections, humor, irony, beauty, wonder, harshness, happiness…actually, you tell us! Show us this race through your distinct lens.
If this sounds like your brand of whiskey, R2AK is the race for you.
WHAT IS PROVIDED:
- Use of an Ocean Rodeo drysuit and all safety equipment necessary
- Airfare to Seattle, and back from Ketchikan to Seattle
- Free entry as a competitor in the race
- Digital storage
- Help waterproofing gear (possibly renting underwater housings etc.)
- Full access to the team before and after the race
- Access to the R2AK footage archives
- Time and Space to edit in beautiful Port Townsend, WA or Ketchikan, AK with lodging (optional)
- Special Screening at the 2017 Wooden Boat Festival in PT – 2nd largest wooden boat festival in the world
- And we will help get your stuff noticed
**For those in school R2AK can consider this an internship to meet school requirements**
- Be available, at minimum, June 4th to 20th. (Weather condition rule us all)
- Own or have access to a camera that is appropriate to the work you intend to do on the trip. Some supplemental gear may become available.
- Be willing and able to row! Having a filmmaker on the boat when the wind is blowing is great, but when its dead, you will be expected to literally pull your weight and help row/paddle/pedal the boat through the calm days.
- Be over the age of…17
- Deliver all footage to the Race to Alaska to be used for Promotional purposes (with proper credit of course!)
- Complete one short film/video (5-15 minutes) from your experience embedded in the race. This film is completely yours and expresses your unique exploration of the R2AK.
APPLY HERE. It costs 40 bucks, but its worth it. Deadline is May 1st.
R2AK TEAM: BELLA BELLA INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Race to Alaska is a race founded on audacity, simplicity and the get it done mentality that forged the first explorations into the rugged North American coast. We are putting out a call for production teams to help tell that story to the world.
You want to work where the rugged mountains meet the untamed ocean? Do you want to spend some days split between working in the editing room, interviewing race teams and speeding around on small boats? Do you want to do it in one of the most gorgeous northern resorts humans have made? Are you legal to enter Canada?
We are seeking a team of two to wrangle footage, edit a message, drive a boat and live in remote locations in the wilds of Canada.
AS A TEAM can you
- Be ready to get to it June 7 and lean into it till July 4
- Know how to drive a boat with an outboard?
- Work a camera?
- Know how to use a wireless microphones?
- Can you edit video and make short pieces of creative work that tells a story? Conveys an emotion? Gets a heart racing?
- Do you work well as a team?
- Read charts/basic navigation?
You don’t have to be it all, but both of you do.
This race is awesome, and is made that way by the people who race it and the teams that manage it. You’d both need to be creative, real problem solvers and be able to execute a vision and get to it.
This team would be working under our Film Boss, as a part of a hardy team of film makers who will be crisscrossing 750 miles of remote coastline and you two would be the beating heart in the center of it all, taking what film you and the rest of the team capture and making it into a story.
We love you already for even thinking about it. And if you think you want to throw your hat in…then just do it.
WHAT YOU GET
- A chance to spend two weeks in a staggeringly beautiful and extremely remote part of the BC’s central coast.
- Airfare from Vancouver or Victoria to Bella Bella
- Wireless hot spot
- Foul Weather Gear
- Two rooms at the resort
- Dry Bags
- Use of 17 foot fishing boat w/ 60 hp outboard and wheel steering
APPLY HERE Deadline is May 1st.