Stage 1: Port Townsend to Victoria
Team name: Team Green Kulshan
Team members: Marc Vander Schalie, Stephen Karney, Andrew Vander Schalie
Race vessel: San Juan 21
- 1995, 2000, 2009 Western National Champion in San Juan 21 Class
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Seattle NOOD San Juan 21 Class winner
- Multiple year winner of numerous other regional regattas, including the Desert Regatta, the Lake Chelan
- Regatta, and the LCSA Tribune Cup Regatta.
- 2009 2nd place, Tasar North Americans, Bellingham, WA
- Built and raced a wooden International Moth class boat in 1993
- Owner and competitor in the Tasar Class since 1996
- Built a wooden sea kayak in 2000
- Successfully climbed Mt. Baker in 2013 and 2015.
- Enjoys Dual Sport Motorcycle riding, Chukar hunting, Kayaking, Snorkling/Free diving, and Snow kiting on the Waterville plateau. See https://youtu.be/5cAECV0cEjI
- Owner/Master wood worker of Kulshan Builders, Bellingham, WA
- Professional mountain guide for 15+ years, with nearly 40 successful Mt. Baker summits, multiple guide trips to Denali, the Bugaboos, the Sierras, the Coast Mountains, Joshua Tree, Red Rocks, and the Canadian Rockies
- Local Bellingham Kite boarder extraordinaire; builds custom wood kite boards.
- Free Diver, successfully bringing home fish dinner for his family regularly
- Enjoys Dual Sport Motorcycle riding, Paragliding, Bird hunting, Fly fishing, and Milking Goats
- 11 yrs old fore deck crew (youngest racer!)
- Six time winning tactician in the Seattle NOOD San Juan 21 Class
- Fore Deck master on Kermit, the fastest San Juan 21 in the universe
- Enjoys Golf, Tennis, Power Kites, Hockey Statistics, and winning sailboat races with his father and grandfather
- Kermit – 41 yrs old – have raced Kermit from Oklahoma to California to Calgary and everywhere in between
Leave the guns and nine clubs and home boys, but the Canadians won’t mind a little goat cheese. Green Kulshan, welcome to Race to Alaska.